Friday 20 January 2012

Money makes the world go round

Money is pretty much the answer to everything. So much so, that I often find myself worrying about money at least once a day, well maybe not worrying, but trying to work out where what money has to go where and for what bill. I can't remember a time when I was actually quite flush and didn't have to think before spending. I think the way I was brought up has a part to play in this. My family were never well off, quite poor in fact. There is one memory that always sticks in my mind and that was going food shopping with my mum and her friend, and a disaster happened at the till...blah de blah, but mums friend ended up paying. I can remember feeling so embarrassed so have vowed never to let things get that bad for me.

That brings me to today, where I budget for each bill, no matter if it's a monthly bill, or quarterly, out of each weeks money that goes into my bank. I passed my driving test and got my first car just before Christmas and need to find a way of saving for car related expenses, tax, MOT, breakdowns and the like. I'm just not sure where the money is going to come from as money is tight as it is! I think that's my cue to definitely give up my energy drink addiction, that would save me almost £50 a month... £50 a month?! I've never actually worked it out before but that is astronomical! I have tried giving up before, many times, but I need the pick me up since my wonderful daughter doesn't sleep, I say she doesn't sleep but of course she does, she just wakes up at stupid o'clock in the morning (4:45am this morning). I am now making another promise, to add to the promise of keeping my blog up to date, I will cut down to 1 (yes, I was drinking multiple a day) energy drink a day until the 10th February. Then... who knows :-)

My friends don't really understand how skint I really am, they often take the children out on days out to different soft play places and various different attractions, they do ask us, but of course, we are skint and wait for money off vouchers in our local paper. I take Kacie on days out even if it isn't with our friends, you don't have to spend money to have a nice day out, unless it's rubbish weather and we stay indoors! The same goes for nights out as well, I've had a grand total of 1 night out on the town since falling pregnant, a far cry from the young single mother stereotype there is. Money, money, money, they just don't understand.

So that brings me to the life I lead today, Zoe the mummy by day, Zoe the moneymaker by night. Survey taker and review writer. I think my friends would think I'm even more old lady like if they knew I did this too!

5 comments:

  1. Money troubles are the worst kind aren't they, I think you are very sensible planning as much as you can and you know what being a single mum is tough work. I'm sad to think you and your little girl miss out on the soft play etc but keep up blogging and check your dooyoo email hun I've sent you a tip which might help make some extra pennies xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's one thing you'll always have and that's appreciation of the things you can afford, something worth passing onto your children. I think so many people are in debt these days because they refuse to live by their means.

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zoe. I remember the days when all my friends used to go to soft play areas and I just couldn't afford to go. I felt awful at the time, but there was no way I was going to spend money I couldn't afford. Good for you for being so strong, especially being on your own.Your daughter will be proud of you when she grows up. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again! Thanks for following my blog x

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a lovely daughter, I have an 18 month old too. You can make it fun at home & once the weather improves there are a lot "free" places. I take mine to the swings & swimming no matter the weather :))

    ReplyDelete