Sunday 22 January 2012

Review - Crayola washable finger paints

Since using these paints in our train making activity yesterday I thought I'd post my review on Crayola Washable Finger Paints.
----------------------------

I think most children like to get messy with paints, and cleaning up after painting is usually a difficult task with paint all over the child, surfaces and clothes. When I was looking at craft items for my daughter I came across these washable paints from Crayola. They sounded so good, I had to give them a try.
Packaging
Crayola's washable finger paints come in the bright green and yellow typical packaging for all Crayola products. The package is made out of cardboard so it is widely recyclable. There are three tubes of paints in red, blue and yellow. These are the only colours that Crayola do, but as they are the primary colours more colours can be made by mixing the colours.
Paint!
The paint itself, once squeezed out of the tube, has a watery consistency. It isn't much of a problem for us as my daughter just likes getting messy instead of creating a masterpiece, although anything she paints is a masterpiece in my eyes! It does make it hard to create a nice colour if mixing the primary colours to make another as the water based paint just tends to mix the colours to a weak looking shade of the colour you want to achieve. We usually get a horrible purple/brown colour when Kacie is painting!

As the main reason of buying these paints was because they claim to be washable I was looking forward to finishing and seeing if it lived up to its claims. It did, fantastically. I first tried to clean my daughters hands with a wet wipe, and whilst it got the majority of the paint off it didn't get all of it off. But with a little bit of soap it came off easily. To get the paint of the surface of the table I used another wet wipe and it just glided off with ease, no elbow grease was required. Before buying this paint Kacie used to get paint all over her clothes so I bought her an apron, this paint wipes off the apron with ease also.

Another thing I like about these paints is that there is a lot in each tube (147ml) and they have an air tight cap, meaning that the paint can be used again and again without the paint inside the tube drying out between painting activities. The lid is on the bottom of the tube so it's easy to get pretty much all of the paint out with ease.

The paints are recommend for children aged 2+, but with all things these are just guidelines and children younger will be fine with the correct adult supervision. I have been using these paints with my daughter since she was around 10 months old with no problems.

Overall
At around £3.79, I think these are an absolute bargain. Of course you can find basic paint a lot cheaper than this but the washable claims that Crayola make are true, and make cleaning up after messy time a breeze. I would recommend these paints to any young budding artist.

Pros: Do exactly what they say they do! Make clean up time easier.
Cons: Quite pricey compared to some other paints.

5/5 for these paints!


2 comments:

  1. We have these!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, Lovely blog...I look forward to following & reading more posts x

    ReplyDelete